|Many of the people who come to us for treatment, do so as they work in offices or are obliged to sit for long periods of time. If you are having problems that you think may be caused because of your working environment, drop into the practice for an assessment.
In the meantime, here is our Tip of the Month - STAND UP!!
Whether you are working in an office or relaxing at home, new research has confirmed that the best thing you can do is stand up. Long hours sitting down can play a significant role in the development of chronic disease. Growing evidence suggests that simply sitting can be a risk factor for poor health and premature death even if you exercise regularly.
This can be a real struggle for office or other desk bound workers so here are some tips to help:
• Walk across the office to talk to a colleague instead of sending an email
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator
• Take a longer, roundabout way to your desk
• Get your colleagues involved with standing-only office meetings
• Alter your work space so that you have to stand up frequently
Ideally, stand up at least once every 10 minutes, and try to build this kind of movement into your working day. Stand, stretch, touch your toes or – if you have a private office – do a few squats and jumps!