• 50g butter (substitute ghee or coconut oil for full paleo).
• 50g odourless coconut oil, plus extra for the tin.
• 50g dates, soaked in water for half an hour then finely chopped
• 50g coconut flour
• 50g almond flour
• 20g black treacle
• zest 1 orange
• zest 1 lemon
• 120g carrot, grated
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• quarter tsp freshly ground black pepper
• quarter tsp bicarb
• 2 eggs
• Heat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas 4.
• Butter then line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment. Put the butter, soaked dates, treacle and zests into a large saucepan. Heat gently until everything has melted together.
• Add the carrot, all the coconut and almond flour, bicarb, ground ginger, pepper and eggs to the pan and stir well until you have a smooth batter.
• Taste for sweetness, should be about right, but if bitter add a little honey.
• Pour into the tin and bake for 45 mins, or until dark brown and risen, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 20 mins in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
• When the cake is completely cool, cut into slices and serve.